APRIL FOOLS: We don’t think hiring an unpaid intern is actually the best route forward. But feel free to get in touch or come by our weekly meetings if you are interested in joining the all-volunteer group!
Maybe you saw Intern Labor Rights organizer Dedunu Suraweera’s inspiring story on PolicyMic. Maybe you decided you’d had enough after another summer of getting your supervisors coffee instead of actually learning about your field. Maybe you just can’t afford to work for free, and the message to you was always clear: Interns of the world, unite against unpaid internships!
Lucky for you, Intern Labor Rights is expanding, and if you’re interested in joining the growing intern movement, you should apply to be an Intern Avenger! This valuable experience will put you squarely in the center of the exciting movement to end unpaid internships and create a just intern economy: We’re hoping to find someone who can meet these standards:
- Available 2-3 days a week, during normal working hours
- Candidate should own a smartphone/otherwise be reasonably responsive to off-hours communication
- Willing to do important movement work: social media, advocacy, coordinating meetings, handling set-up and break-down of events
- A serious attitude towards organizing – we want love an activist who’re willing to roll up their sleeves and do the work, so to speak
- Most importantly, we want someone committed to the values of social justice and passionate about ending unpaid internships!
- At least two years of relevant organizing experience and a bachelor’s degree are preferred
For students, academic credit is available if arranged with an educational institution beforehand. We want this to be a real learning experience!
If this sounds like the position for you, send an email to Rosa Parlin, hiring coordinator, with a résumé and brief cover letter detailing why you think you’d be a great Intern Avenger. Please include “Intern Position” in the title of the email!
Women, people of color, and people from low-income backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.